Thread: Jumbotron

Junior ISD Member

Jumbotron

Hi, I just wanted to hear if any new info is rolling around about the possible jumbotron situation. Would sure like to have the screen for next season (Michigan game specifically and more so if its the night game for the year).Maybe we will get some info on the Feb.1 press conference. Any info on the response/reaction school officials have received from the ND base concerning this would be nice.

All that does not have to be responded to.All that was just maybe.
    Last edited by golden dome; 02-11-2012 at 04:23 PM.

ISD Moderator
    I have heard nothing concrete on this, but I do think it's an addition that's being investigated. I think this may be a slow process, but it depends on how quickly someone wants to bite.

A lot of companies will agree to sponsor (donate) a jumbotron, but it's all a matter of what does ND have to give up in return for that jumbotron.

My guess is ND is probably trying to negotiate the best deal they can without giving up too much in advertising, etc.

I think once the word gets out that ND is interested a lot of companies will be interested, but then ND has to sift through all of that to find the best scenario for them. It could happen next year, but it may take longer, or ND may just decide it's not worth it.

Mike

Junior ISD Member
    Thanks Mike for the insight. Its just hard for me to drop the subject because I want every advantage that will or possibly remotely help us win. Just because it has always been done a particular way doesn’t mean that it’s the right way, conversely just because its new doesn’t mean its right. Just for those that use the (traditional haha) cop-out of saying it goes against tradition, new traditions in no way eliminate those that are current, they just add to an already rich history. If they are, then they justifiably should have been lost do to attrition.

Thanks fot the free forum, an unemployed grad.
    Last edited by golden dome; 01-26-2012 at 01:48 AM.
    All that does not have to be responded to. All that was just maybe.

ISD Moderator
    Golden,

Sure. We're hoping this forum picks up, and we're going to work to do that. Feel free to ask us any questions here.

As for the jumbo, I know a lot of traditionalists don't want it, but it makes for an exciting atmosphere to a younger crowd, and that's ultimately who they're trying to attract in recruiting, so my guess is we'll eventually see it. I just don't want it full of constant advertising. That's my big worry on it.

Mike

Junior ISD Member
    bad bad idea

Junior ISD Member
    good good idea

Junior ISD Member
    For sure the Jumbotron has to be done the right way. The side opposed to the Jumbotron takes the stance that it will be consumed with ads, obliterate current traditions, destroy the involvement of the band and the most convincing, it’s just not Notre Dame. No facet of the school has indicated ND will succumb to business and plaster the fans with ads. This common excuse has in no way been substantiated with any substance to support this concern. Referencing the actual game at Yankee stadium, that actual evidence does not indicate a conflict between the two. The band still played a intrigue role during the game and was not overshadowed or obscurely hidden as many fear will result. The Irish are the foundation of college football and differ from all other teams in the county. The game is played a different way hear and that is what draws many. Trying to cement ND into a limitation of approved traditions is in itself not the ND way. Because something hasn’t been done, doesn’t mean it shouldn’t be done. The screen would be a addition, not a subtraction. Employing the reasoning that it hurts tradition, is being utilized to resonate a emotional response. Those that hide behind the scapegoat of tradition try to associate that if you are for the screen, then you’re against tradition. This is a smear tactic used to support ones position when no actual opposition is present. Conversely, one can say if you do not support the jumbotron, then you are against the growth of tradition. Notre Dame’s tradition must prevail and can not be limited or held hostage. Those concerned have look no further than the Army game at Yankee stadium. The jumbotron does not provide the missing opportunity that ND has been looking for to advertise in the stadium. Ample opportunities have and are present if this rout was wanted, clearly it is a path that will not be taken.
    Last edited by golden dome; 02-18-2012 at 01:19 AM.

If I had a choice between the jumbotron or field turf, I'd take a solid playing surface. Less injuries and more consistent footing equals better football, which is the best recruiter of all.

Quote Originally Posted by fightinmike87 View Post
    If I had a choice between the jumbotron or field turf, I'd take a solid playing surface. Less injuries and more consistent footing equals better football, which is the best recruiter of all.
    Nd can have both and need both!

Notre Dame struggles to keep the natural grass up to top standards, but I'd hate to see it go away.