Thread: ND Defensive Line - 2012 Season

ND Defensive Line - 2012 Season

Defensive End
    Kapron Lewis-Moore (1 Year of Eligibilty)
    Stephon Tuitt (3 Years of Eligibilty)
    Chase Hounshell (3 Years of Eligibilty)

Nose Tackle
    Louis Nix (3 Years of Eligibilty)
    Tyler Stockton (2 Years of Eligibilty)
    Sheldon Day (4 Years of Eligibilty)
    Jarron Jones (4 Years of Eligibilty)

Defensive End
    Aaron Lynch (3 Years of Eligibilty)
    Kona Schwenke (2 Years of Eligibilty)
    Romeo Okwara (4 Years of Eligibilty)

I'll start by stating that It appears that Hafis Williams and Brandon Newman had their eligibility expire (or were not granted a 5th year). Also, Sean Cwynar did not come back for a 5th year, but I believe that was his call.

The Defensive Line is one of ND's strengths, thanks to youngsters Louis Nix, Aaron Lynch, and Stephon Tuitt. Kapron Lewis-Moore doesn't grab a lot of headlines, but the kid is a huge asset for the defense. Chase Hounshell earned some playing time as a true Freshmen, so I expect his impact to increase this season. Kona, provides depth to the position. True Freshman Sheldon Day and Jarron Jones were both highly-touted as High-School Seniors. It will be tough for them to crack the rotation (though I think Day may have a shot since he is an early enrollee).

Recruiting - I'm thinking that ND wants 3 Defensive Lineman out of this class. Two D-Ends and a D-Tackle. The staff missed out early on a couple of 2013 prospects (Taco Charlton, Jake Butt, Garrett Sickels). There doesn't appear to be heavy interests from the other D-Line prospects that have received offers from Notre Dame.

ND has received a verbal commitment from Jacob Matuska. He is a Tight End / Defensive End that has been recruited to play on the defensive side of the ball by ND. Other top prospects with offers that seem to have interest in Notre Dame are: Jordan Sherit (FL), Dejuan Drennon (NJ), Darius Latham (IN), Alquain Muhammad (NJ)

Junior ISD Member
    With Aaron Lynch gone and injuries to Hounshell and Springman, does anyone think we need to get Hafis Williams back for a 5th year? Hafis and Kona can both play noseguard or defensive end. Hafis is experienced. I thought he had a motor in him like Kona Schwenke. Hafis looked so hungry out there on the football field.
    Last edited by ndvalue; 04-30-2012 at 07:38 PM.

Assuming it is allowed to offer a 5th year at this point, I don't think Coach Kelly is planning on it. I believe Hafis Williams was a Defensive Tackle. I have to believe he would be behind Nix and Schwenke at that spot

Here is my projected depth chart on the Defensive Line, based I what I saw and read during spring practice.

I think Hafis would definitely be behind Tuitt, KLM, Nix, Schwenke, Hounshell. Possibly even Day and Stockton at this point.

Defensive End
    Kapron Lewis-Moore (Sr-x)
    Chase Hounshell (So)
    Jarron Jones (Fr-x)

Defensive End
    Stephon Tuitt (So)
    Sheldon Day (Fr-x)
    Romeo Okwara (Fr-x)

Defensive Tackle
    Kona Schwenke (Jr)
    Louis Nix (Jr-x)
    Tyler Stockton (Sr-x)
    Tony Springmann (So-x)

ISD Legend
    They need to do everything they can to keep Romeo Okwara off the field this year. He is only 17 years old and has huge upside. If they can preserve a year of eligibility, he will be a huge piece of the puzzle in a couple of years. I think if he started school a year later, he would've been a 4-5 star talent coming out of high school. I like how Kelly gets 3 star guys with upside...not just 3 star depth/role players.

ISD Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by krbarryjr View Post
    They need to do everything they can to keep Romeo Okwara off the field this year. He is only 17 years old and has huge upside. If they can preserve a year of eligibility, he will be a huge piece of the puzzle in a couple of years. I think if he started school a year later, he would've been a 4-5 star talent coming out of high school. I like how Kelly gets 3 star guys with upside...not just 3 star depth/role players.
    It would be nice if they could keep him off the field. He's got a lot of potential and just growing into his body. My guess is he's talented enough he'll play. They played Hounshell last year, so my guess is he'll play if he's ready. But I agree, it would be nice to save a year for him.

Mike