Top 10 Notre Dame Targets for the class of 2013
Here is my Top 10 targets list as of April.
Notre Dame's class has started to take shape. They've filled out the Offensive Line and Quarterback positions. Wide Receiver and Cornerback have a couple of commitments each, but Notre Dame now needs to bring in an elite propect at both positions. Defensive Line, Line Backer, Tight End, and Running Back still need to be secured.
1. Jaylon Smith (LB) - Notre Dame HAS TO, repeat HAS TO, sign Smith who is an Indiana kid and the staff's #1 defensive target. Rivals Top 50 player
2. Ryan Green (RB) - Notre Dame's top offensive target. It appears that ND leads, but distance is a big factor as Green would have to leave Florida. Green is ranked as the #90 prospect by Rivals.
3. Demarcus Robinson (WR) - Robinson, out of Georgia, came away very impressed after his unofficial visit to ND in March. He can be the elite WR for ND's class. Rivals ranked at #97
4. Mike Huerman (TE) - Notre Dame needs to add a big-time Tight End in this class. Huerman is ND's best shot at filling this need.
5. Isaac Rochell (DE) - I believe he is a Rivals 100 prospect. ND always has an uphill battle getting elite D-Lineman. With Lynch's status up in the air, Rochell becomes even more important.
6. Tre Bell (CB) - Notre Dame already has two verbals from "high-upside" Corners. Now it's time to land an elite Corner. Bell is a Rivals Top 50 prospect
7. Alex Anzalone (ATH) - Versatile Athlete prospect. I believe ND likes him as a Linebacker. It's down to Penn St, ND, and Ohio St
8. Vonn Bell (CB) - Another big Corner. A great prospect in a position of need.
9. Ty Isaac (RB) - I originally had him as my #1 overall target for ND. Seems like ND and Isaac aren't exactly hitting it off though, so I have him out of the top 5. #18 prospect by Rivals.
10. Jordan Mastrogiovanni (LB) / Chans Cox (LB) - Solid LB prospects from out of TX and AZ respectively.
Last edited by subalum75; 04-05-2012 at 10:39 AM.
#6 - Tre Bell, committed to Florida this weekend. Kind of suprised it was so quick. I thought ND had a decent shot.
Here is my Top 10 Targets list for May.
Additions: Jordan Sherit (DE), Marcus Ball (LB-ATH), Cole Luke (CB)
Alez Anzalone (LB) – Commited to Ohio St.
Tre Bell (CB) – Committed to Florida
Mike Heuerman (TE) – Committed to Notre Dame
Notre Dame is up to 12 verbal commitments for the Class of 2013. ND appears to have closed out the QB, TE, and OL positions on offense. This allows ND to focus in on landing an elite Running Back and an elite Wide Receiver to close out the offensive side of the ball. The defense has only 3 verbal commitments thus far, so expect the majorirty of the remaining commits to be on the defensive side. IMO, all defensive positions are still open
1. Jaylon Smith (LB) – Top Defensive Target. IMO, this Indiana kid is the most important target for ND. Missing out on a local kid with elite talent would really hurt. Top 50 National Prospect.
2. Ryan Green (RB) – Top Offensive Target. ND appears to be in Top 3. Will be VERY TOUGH to pull him out of Florida. I believe Florida State is the front-runner. Green is ranked as the Top 100 National Prospect
3. Demarcus Robinson (WR) - Robinson, out of Georgia, came away very impressed after his unofficial visit to ND in March. He can be the elite WR for ND's class. Top 100 National Prospect. He would be an excellent get to close out the WR position.
4. Isaac Rochell (DE) - I believe he is a Rivals 100 prospect. Certainly sounds like ND is his leader, but it could be a long battle for him with Rochell’s leaders changing at some point.
5. Ty Isaac (RB) - I originally had him as my #1 overall target for ND. Then he seemed to cool on ND (or Vice Versa) so I moved him down to #9 in April. However, with Ryan Green softening on ND (reportedly) and ND still being in the mix, I’m moving Isaac up a bit. Isaac is the Top 50 National Prospect.
6. Jordan Sherit (DE) – Florida D-End. Top 100 National Prospect. Reportedly very interested in Notre Dame.
7. Marcus Ball (S-LB) - Ohio recruit appears to be VERY high on Notre Dame. This is the type of hidden gem that Kelly needs to land and develop. 6-3, 205, and athletic
8. Cole Luke (CB) – 4-star recruit out of Arizona. Listed at 6-0, so he fits the “tall corner” mold that Kelly and Diaco are looking for.
9. Jordan Mastrogiovanni (LB) – Appeared to be really high on ND in February and March, but apparently has cooled considerably on the Irish. I think at this point it’s a good bet that Mastrogiovanni signs elsewhere.
10. Vonn Bell (DB) – Another “big” Defensive Back as he’s listed at 6-1, 190. 40 time is listed at 4.47!!! Unfortunetely for ND, Bell (Georgia) strikes me as someone who will stay in the SEC.
Top Targets that are Next In Line:
Wyatt Teller (DE) – Virginia, 4-Star D-End
Dejuan Drennon (DE) – New Jersey
Chans Cox (LB) – Arizona – 4-Star . 6-3 / 225?
Yannick Ngakoue (LB) – DC – Some type of connection with ND Commit, Devin Butler
Scott Pagano (DE-DT) – Hawaii. Big D-Lineman that staff wants at D-End
Vernon Hargreaves III (CB) – I think he’s shown very little interest in ND at this point.
Jordan Cunnigham (WR) – 4-star recruit out o Florida. Had ND in Top 5 recently. Top 150
Reggie Spearman (LB) – 3-Star Illinois kid. Don’t believe he has an offer yet.
Devon Allen (WR) – Arizona – Elite speed (4.40). Allen is working on track and football and this will likely drag out into the season. I think it will be tough for ND to pull this kid. Seems equally interested in Track as Football.
Priest Willis (CB) - Arizona - Very impressive offer list will be tough for ND.
Taquan Mizzell (RB) - Virginia -
Last edited by subalum75; 05-04-2012 at 02:44 PM.
I think they need Jaylon Smith, Demarcus Robinson and Isaac Rochell more than they need Ryan Green. They have so much depth at RB, especially if Cierre comes back for his last year of eligibility. Don't get me wrong, Green is a huge talent that we could certainly use, but I think the two players on D are important considering the Lynch departure and Robinson is the bigtime talent (non project) player we need at WR.
I agree that Smith, Robinson, and Rochell are bigger needs.
ND appears to have plenty of depth at RB for the next 3 seasons with Wood, GAIII, Mahone, and Carlisle (Not counting Russell that could play RB). You can never have enough good RBs though in my opinion. Also, I think I'm old school and have a soft spot for Tailbacks.
Ryan Green would play early because C. Wood is going to go pro and T Riddick will be done, the picture would clearer at tailback after the season
Yeah, Wood has will have his degree, hopefully back to back 1,000 yard seasons and he's not going to get drastically bigger or faster if he stayed another year, he'll be gone. The more the merrier at RB, especially with the lineman we have recruited to this point.
I don't think we get Robinson unless someone like Daniels has a big year. It's gonna be hard to impress him throwing to TEs and a hybrid slot/RB.
I still think as much as they have said they want to stretch the field that Brown and Ferguson will have to see time. Hopefully they get some experience against Navy/Purdue early that will help in the middle/later part of the season and build for 2013.
Darius Latham is someone to keep an eye on. He's an in-state kid that has an impressive offer list.
I had eliminated him because I thought he wasn't an option since the O-Line has 5 verbals, however, it appears that he's willing to play D-LIne, which is where ND is now projecting him.
Alex Anzalone just decommitted from Ohio St. ND have been near the top of his list. Perhaps he's back in play???
Maybe he can take Mastogiovanni's place on the list