The Irish landed a transfer in Garrick Sherman on Monday and are waiting for Kansas forward Eric Katenda to announce between Notre Dame and Wake Forest on Tuesday, when they’ll also be hosting a big-time prospect from California.
6-foot-2 guard Gabe York (Orange, Calif./Orange Lutheran) will be in South Bend on Tuesday before heading to Milwaukee to take a look at Marquette on Wednesday. The four-star guard has offers from Arizona, Arizona State, Connecticut, Colorado, Kansas, Marquette, Oklahoma, Oregon State, USC, Washington and Washington State.
The junior doesn’t officially have a Notre Dame offer yet, but that’ll probably change on Tuesday. Irish head coach Mike Brey and assistant Martin Inglesby have put in the work to get themselves in position to land a high-caliber player from across the country.
“The head coach was real cool when I was talking to him,” said York. “Everything just flowed really well. He said I was going to have a very good chance to play a lot early and that’s the biggest thing I’m concerned about.
“I just want to see if it’s the same campus everyone is talking about. Everyone says it’s really nice and I’m going to be amazed when I see it, so that’s what I’m really hoping for.”
York also got a positive vibe from Marquette head coach Buzz Williams.
“He was talking to me about how he’s a really big family man,” York said of Williams. “That’s a really big thing for me and my mom and I can go to his house on weekends if I want to and it’s not just about basketball. He’s going to help me with other stuff too. That and just them being a really high-profile basketball school. I want to check that out too.”
York has the ability to play either point guard or shooting guard and expects to play both.
“I drive really well, I can shoot from anywhere really and I have a lot of good jumping ability,” he said. “I can get to the rim and finish real easy.”
York has already taken visits to UCLA, USC and Stanford. He doesn’t have any other planned at the moment, but expects to take more.
“I’m just going to take these two and see how it goes,” he said. “I’ll probably go visit UConn and Georgetown later in the year.”
York has an idea of when he’d like to make a decision, but isn’t sure if he’ll be able to and won’t force it.
“It’s really when I feel most comfortable,” he said. “I want to make a decision by the end of AAU, but if that doesn’t happen, I’ll wait until after the high school season.”